It was recently reported that the Habs relieved six of their scouts of their duties. While the move was made at an odd time, it is done (according to the report) and now we have 15 less scouts than Toronto. While Leafs fans are probably thinking ‘Hey we have more scouts than the Habs, we’re probably going to make the playoffs this year ’Habs fans are thinking ‘what has 24 scouts done for Toronto the past 6 years?’
The higher-ups either have some better scouts coming in or are looking to save some coin. For the sake of the blog we’ll go with the latter. I guess beer is moving slowly these days, Molson is looking to save money and I guess the future and development of the team has to suffer as a result. I’m sure he has some good reasons; I’ve got the top ten.
Top Ten Reasons Why The Habs Fired 6 Scouts
10. The league charges by the letter and after a while those Cammalleri jerseys can get pretty pricey. Why do you think they traded Latendresse?
9. You think Youppi’s natural hair colour is Orange? Hair dye isn’t cheap in those quantities.
8. The mandatory ‘Crosby elimination fee’ IS mandatory.
7. They have to be coming out with the iScout soon enough, right?
6. Tomas Plekanec made a bet with Gainey before the season that he would score more points than Jarome Iginla, Mike Richards, Ryan Getzlaf and Jonathan Toews. After 20 minutes of laughing, Gainey laid the sum of 3 scout’s salaries on the line. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
5. Molson felt kind of bad about the first round upset, so he offered to pay for Eric Belanger’s dental bills.
4. It’s off the books, but someone has to pay for Sergei Kostitsyn’s Baby formula.
3. Nikki Yanofsky’s anthem appearances are like $20, 000 a pop
2. Contrary to popular belief, Marc-Andre Bergeron is not paying the Canadiens to play for them.
And the number one reason why the Habs fired 6 scouts...
1. Everyone knows great teams are built through free agency.